Here is a link to a really great carrot cake, by Delia Smith. As I said in my blog, it’s so good, I haven’t tried to change it! I even made it for my sons first birthday!
That cake is a real treat, so for something healthier and a bit more everyday, you could try carrot muffins.
150g self raising flour
1/2 Tsp cinnamon
1/2 Tsp Nutmeg
60g unsalted butter
2 Large eggs, beaten
2 carrots grated
100g sultanas (optional)
3-4 Tbsp whole milk
zest of 2 oranges, Juice of 1
- Preheat the oven to 190°C and line a muffin tin with paper cases.
- Sift the flour, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl and make a well in the centre.
- Melt the butter (gently-it can burn easily!).
- In a seperate bowl mix the grated carrot, sultanas, if using, and eggs, then add the melted butter and mix well.
- Put the carrot mix into the flour and fold together lightly.
- Add the milk, just enough to make it soft.
- Spoon into the muffin cases.
- Bake for 10 mins, until they are golden brown and spring back when touched.
- Bring out and leave to cool a little before touching.
Recipe adapted from Baby led Weaning by Gill Rapley and Tracey Murkett
The secret to good muffins is not to over mix them, just mix until everything is just combined, otherwise they can be tough!
**Always ask a grown up for permission before you cook and ask them to help you with anything hot or sharp!**