This is another really quick, cheap and healthy pasta sauce. It is much better to make your own sauce if you can, as the jars often have high levels of salt and preservatives, and you can add fresh vegetables to this for extra goodness!!
- 1 Tbsp olive/rapeseed oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 Aubergine, diced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped/grated
- 6 sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large bunch basil
- 1 large can chopped tomatoes
- Salt and Pepper
- Ricotta to serve (optional)
- Add oil to a pan to warm
- Add the onion to the pan and cook gently for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Then, add the aubergine and cook for another 5 minutes, until the aubergine softens.
- Chop the basil stalks and add these to the onions along with the garlic and sun dried tomatoes, cook this for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally to make sure it doesn’t stick to the pan or burn.
- Season with Salt and Pepper
- Add the can of tomatoes to the pan and simmer (let the sauce bubble gently) for 20-25 minutes with the lid on.
- When you are ready to serve the sauce, rip the basil leaves into the sauce and stir. Mix in the cooked pasta and dollop with ricotta cheese if using. You can also add some greens in to make it even healthier, (green beans, frozen spinach, or peas work well).
This sauce will freeze really well, so feel free to double (or more) the ingredients and have some ready to eat at any time!!
** Always remember to ask an adult for permission before cooking and get them to help with anything hot or sharp!**