We’ve all had that feeling where we just need to eat – anyone else get ‘hangry’ (angry because your hungry!).
This can mean reaching for the quickest food we can find, which is often not the healthiest option!
Change4Life have just started a new campaign, so I thought this was a good opportunity to highlight their brilliant work and give a few quick ideas of how to snack clever.
Did you know, kids in the UK are getting half the sugar they eat from snacks and sugary drinks – that can add up to 10KG a year of sugar!!
We have talked before in the ‘Sweet Enough Already?‘ blog about why too much of the white stuff is really not a good idea and just how easy it is to have way more than you realised. Over time too much sugar will lead to fat building up in your body. Your body will not thank you for this because it can’t work properly when this happens and you can get lots of different illnesses. Oh and you’d better get to know your dentist well, because it’s really bad for your teeth too.
We can all get into habits, so, what can we do to keep healthy and avoid those ‘Hanger Attacks’?…
Making sure you eat well at mealtimes, including eating a good breakfast, is a good start to keep those hunger pangs at bay.
Change4Life’s new campaign, says ‘2 100Kcal Snacks-Max!’
Here’s a few healthy options to get you started:
- A piece of fruit or veg is always a good option!
- A handful of nuts and seeds – these can be roasted with spices added for extra flavour!
- Sliced apple with peanut butter (or remember those Apple Cookies!)
- Hummus or bean spread with veg sticks is always a popular choice in our house!!
- Satay dip (Peanut butter, natural yoghurt, lime juice and a few drops low salt soy), as a dipper is a change from the norm!
- Veg fritters are a great way to get some of your 5 a day and some added protein! You can add sweetcorn, courgette…use your imagination!
- Fruit kebabs – personalise it to make it your own!
- Swap biscuits or crisps for homemade popcorn -have fun creating new flavours like cinnamon, nutmeg, or spice it up with paprika, chilli, coriander…the list is endless!!
These are just a few ideas off the top of my head and the options are endless. Healthy definitely does NOT have to mean boring!!
It would be great to start sharing. Feel free to send in pictures, ideas and recipes to Scoffee!!
Speaking of Scoffee – look who it is!
Did you hear the joke about the peanut butter???
I’m not telling you. You might spread it!
It would be great to hear from you and add you to Scoffers gallery-if you could show me your best healthy snacks, especially if you’ve helped to make them, then I would LOVE to see them!
Thanks Scoffee, you never fail to make us giggle!
You could check out my guest blog for the Children’s Food Trust, all about snacking on the go too!
So, a few small changes and you could make a real difference to keeping yourself full of energy and ready for fun.
Give it a go and Happy Snacking!!